Below are some links to pieces I have written regarding advice for undergraduate and Ph.D. students, as well as links to other compendia.
- Notes for Undergraduate Success General thoughts about what undergraduate success means.
- Additional Notes on Undergraduate Success Some further thoughts about how to succeed in your undergraduate courses.
- Presenting: From Bad to Good How to go from mediocre to competent presentations (for both undergraduates and graduate students)
- Student Reading Presentations How to give a brief presentation on the readings for class.
For Ph.D. students
- Advice for Ph.D. Job-Seekers in Political Science For Ph.D. students and undergraduates looking for some (slightly dated) advice regarding the academic job market.
- Succeeding in Political Science Ph.D. Comps For Ph.D. students about to go into their comprehensive examinations in political science and international relations.
- Writing the Faculty Job Application Cover Letter for Political Science Ph.D. Students. For Ph.D. students putting together their job application packets.
- Ph.D. Students Should Think About Publishing From Day One What Ph.D. students in political science and other disciplines should be thinking about doing.